The Importance of Backlinks in Your Online Marketing
Today I would like to talk about the importance of backlinks in your online marketing.
The purpose of your website is to provide an advertisement that your potential customers can find and learn more about your product or service.
Kind of like a billboard.
The problem is, the only way that a billboard is effective, is if it has traffic going by to see it.
Your website is exactly the same way. It is useless without traffic that can see it!
There are many ways to get traffic to your website, including paid traffic campaigns, but today we are going to focus on organic traffic from Google.
Organic traffic is potential customers that find your website by searching keywords in a search engine. The only way this happens is for you to rank on the first page of the rankings for that particular keyword.
You must optimize your website for not only potential customers, but for the search engines as well.
This is called Search Engine Optimization or SEO.
SEO includes many different factors and is broken down into On-page SEO and Off-page SEO.
Today we are going to talk about Off-page SEO and the importance of backlinks in your online marketing.
What are Backlinks?
Backlinks are links from other websites to yours and they display to the search engines that someone else finds your website relevant enough to share your content with their readers.
Think of it as a vote of confidence.
Once you have enough backlinks to your site, especially from authorities in your niche, you are seen as an authority and your content will begin to move up in the search engine rankings.
Once you understand this concept, you will see the importance of backlinks in your online marketing.
How do you get Backlinks?
One of the most difficult things for businesses is building relevant backlinks, but it doesn’t have to be.
Below I am going to share some tips for getting backlinks to your website that will have you moving up the rankings.
1. Publish link worthy content – You should be publishing content on your website that others in your niche want to link too. Think of long form guides on how to do something, or in depth tutorials. Another great way to get links is to feature someone in your niche on your website. Let’s face it, people have egos and they will fall over themselves to share when they are featured!
2. Blog Commenting – Blog commenting can be a great way to get backlinks.
Here are some Blog Commenting Tips.
- Always use the authors name at least twice in your comment. People love to hear/see their name!
- Always add value with your comment.
- Size matters, try to write at least 3 or 4 paragraphs.
- Engage the author, ask a question if you can.
3. Guest Posts – Guest posting is an underutilized technique for getting backlinks to your website.
Here’s how it works.
- Find websites and blog in your niche.
- Contact them and offer to write an in-depth article on a subject that will help their readers.
- Produce epic content that will truly impress them.
- They publish your article along with your author bio, which includes a link to your website!
There are 3 solid methods for building backlinks to your website that you can begin to use today.
I hope that you have a better understanding of the importance of backlinks in your online marketing. You should have a set amount of time that you spend each day on this vital task.